New Discussion: Your Top 5 Favorite Female Horror Characters (Good or Bad)
Hey everyone. Sorry for the relative silence the last few days; had a big family weekend. If I could get some advertisers on the site then I can afford to hire someone to help me out (hint hint hint). But I thought I’d finish the weekend with a new discussion topic.
Who are your Top 5 Favorite Female Horror Characters?
I’m opening up the discussion to include both good and bad characters. I think that the horror genre is greatly under represented by by females and I for one would love to see more horror flicks from a female perspective. Of course behind the camera we have 1987’s Near Dark directed by (eventual) Academy Award winner Kathryn Bigelow; 1989’s Pet Sematary directed by Mary Lambert; and 2009’s Trippin’ (and a bunch of short films) directed by Devi Snively. Of course there are more female directors in the genre, but these 3 immediately came to mind.
But for this topic we’re leaving “real people” out and going for those females characters (good or bad) that you really love. I’m gonna lay down one “rule”; PLEASE no one put Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise on their list!!! Here’s my list in no particular order:
1. La Femme (Inside; 2007) – Béatrice Dalle’s performance as the completely psychotic, yet extremely focused, killer is nothing but chilling and brutal. She maybe says 2 sentences worth of dialogue the entire film, yet she is one of the scariest modern-day killers. Leave it to the French!!
2. Jennifer (Bad Biology, 2008) – Relative newcomer Charlee Danielson plays the lead role as a woman with 7 clits trying to find true love in Frank Henenlotter’s latest flick. Danielson is just amazing. Sure she kills some of her lovers in the throes of passion, but she’s not really bad or good; she just “is.” Danielson plays the role brilliantly with the perfect blend of innocence and raw sexuality. She is fucking great!!
3. Nicki Brand (Videodrome, 1983) – Deborah Harry’s character here is that of a Black Widow. She’s smart, sexy, and always looking for a little kink. Her Nicki Brand characters to James Woods’ Max Renn has to be one of the most dysfunctional, anti-love affairs in modern cinema. When Brand asks Renn, “Wanna try a few things” … shit; it’ll send shivers up and down your spine.
4. Dr. Katherine McMichaels (From Beyond, 1986) – My list just wouldn’t be complete without having Barbara Crampton on it. I wrestled back and forth between her role here and her role in 1985’s Re-Animator as Megan Halsey. But ultimately From Beyond won out because I really loved her in this role as the straight-laced, obsessed scientist with a kinky side. Crampton has a real natural beauty that radiates through all of her roles, and never so brightly as Dr. McMichaels!!
5. Anna (Martyrs, 2008) – Which of my regular readers is shocked to see Anna on this list??? Anna (Morjana Alaoui) is, simply put, the strongest female character to ever be in any movie. Ever. Period. What Anna goes through is all 9 levels of Hell, and then some. But at the end of the day she’s a survivor; she actually lives through all of her suffering more knowledgeable than when she started. Alaoui is absolutely amazing in the role and I can’t imagine the nightmares she had after filming this one.
There’s my choices everyone. Remember: NO RIPLEY FROM THE ALIEN FRANCHISE is allowed!! I’m curious to see your choices. Is there anyone on my list that you think doesn’t belong? Let me know!!