New Discussion: What are Your Top 5 Favorite Movie Monsters
Well I think it’s that time again for a new discussion. I realize that this site is lacking in the classic Universal and Hammer horror films. I grew up on all those classic flicks but haven’t reviewed any (yet). It’s not an oversight but a matter of time; I’m trying to stay a little more current and modern with my reviews. (But if you love the films of the 1950′s-70′s, definitely check out my friend GoreGirl’s website. She has some killer reviews of the films we all grew up on. I’m always on her site!!). Let me tell you; if there was a station on my cable service that played all the old classic DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, etc… well I’d be an extremely happy man. I bring these classics up because I’m thinking there’s gonna be a lot of the old classic monsters brought up in this discussion. But of course I’m gonna list my top 5 favorite movie monsters (in no particular order):
1. The creature from THE THING (1982): This is just one of the most unique, frightening, and badass creatures ever put up on film!! I’d have loved to have taken a look inside f/x guru Rob Bottin’s mind when he was coming up with this creature. For anyone who’s ever seen THE THING, which is I’m guessing all of you, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Watching the various transformations this amazing creature goes through is simply stunning. It’s one of my favorite flicks of all times.
2. The creature from CLOVERFIELD (2008): I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed this flick. When I heard it did the old “shaky camera” bit I was rolling my eyes like a mutha fucker!! But it really works here. And the creature is extremely effective!! Why? I call it the “Jaws Treatment”; we get teased with seeing bits and pieces of the creature the entire film (just like in the film JAWS) until the very end. And wow; when we finally see it it blew me away. It was so original and scary looking!! When the hell are we getting a sequel?
3. Belial from the BASKET CASE films 1982, 1990, 1992): If any creature embodies the transition from the classic films of the 60′s & 70′s and the modern era, it’s Belial … that hideous, deformed, psychotic lump of flesh. And I love how Belial was 100% puppet operated (in the 1st one at least). It adds a really cool dimension to the film and makes you question whether you should be laughing or screaming.
4. The werewolves from DOG SOLDIERS (2002): Very simple; the monsters here are some of the best looking & designed werewolves I’ve seen. They are strong, fast, smart, and fucking ferocious looking! This is a phenomenal flick all around.
5. The bat-like creatures from THE DESCENT (2005): You all knew I couldn’t leave these badass creatures off my list!! These creatures are AWESOME!! They were designed keeping evolution in mind: What would creatures look like who evolved miles under the earth, away from the light of the sun? Well Neil Marshall showed us (AND scared the shit out of us at the same time). What I really liked is that these creatures aren’t motivated by anything other than their survival instincts. They don’t kill for pleasure or sport; they kill to eat.
So tell me your favorite movie monsters and tell me what you think about my choices.