Eli Roth’s The Green Inferno Moves Forward; Spike Lee’s Oldboy Remake Gets Postponed

Green Inferno 1Here’s two updates on two films that are being heavily anticipated.  First up, Eli Roth’s THE GREEN INFERNO.  THE GREEN INFERNO is about a group of college students abducted by the very cannibalistic Amazon tribe they’re trying to help and is Roth’s homage to the good old Italian cannibal sub-sub-genre from the 1970s (one of my favorite genres/sub-genres out there).  THE GREEN INFERNO is directed by Roth, written by Roth and Guillermo Amoedo, and stars  Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira, Aaron Burns, and Magda Apanowicz.  According to The Wrap, THE GREEN INFERNO will be screened in the Midnight Madness section of the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival later this year.  TIFF opens on September 5, 2013 and runs through September 15, 2013.  I’m really looking forward to this one.  I’m a big fan of Roth (even though I wasn’t that big a fan of his two HOSTEL films) and am really curious to see what he does with cannibals!!

oldboy-hammerIn other future release news, Spike Lee’s remake of the cult hit OLDBOY has been pushed back a month.  The OLDBOY remake is directed by Lee, the screenplay is written by Mark Protosevich, and stars Elizabeth Olsen, Samuel L. Jackson, Josh Brolin, Hannah Simone, and Sharlto Copley.  According to a different article on The Wrap, Lee’s OLDBOY remake is being pushed back a month and will be released on November 27, 2013 instead of October 25, 2013.  I’m rather looking forward to seeing this one but this has definitely gotten a lot of blowback from fans of the original.  All I can say is if you don’t want this film to be a hit, then don’t see it.  By now you should all know that there is no film out there, no matter how classic we may think it is, that is “off limits” to the Hollywood Remake Machine.  So either ignore it or support it.  Whining about it won’t change a damn thing!!  Now you all know how I felt when DAY OF THE DEAD and DAWN OF THE DEAD were remade.  Here’s the plot crunch:

An advertising executive is kidnapped and held hostage for 20 years in solitary confinement. When he is inexplicably released, he embarks on an obsessive mission to discover who orchestrated his punishment, only to find he is still trapped in a web of conspiracy and torment.

Check out the red band trailer for the OLDBOY remake:

What do you think of these two films, THE GREEN INFERNO and the OLDBOY remake?

Stay Bloody!!!

Share A Scare!

This entry was posted in News, Trailers, Upcoming Films, Video and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Eli Roth’s The Green Inferno Moves Forward; Spike Lee’s Oldboy Remake Gets Postponed

  1. katie says:

    I’m usually up for anything that Roth does, so I’ll probably check The Green Inferno out. As for the OldBoy remake? I’m not too excited about this. I thoroughly enjoyed the original and it does seem a shame that they want to remake it with American actors and directors, but that does seem the norm nowadays. If more people would be open minded, the need to “americanize” movies wouldn’t be so popular. And in my experience, I usually enjoy the original foreign films better (if I even watch the remakes). I most likely will not be watching that remake.

    • Excellent points, Katie. 95% of the time I prefer the original film to the remake, but not when it comes to Asian films (that’s the other 5%). Fir the most part I’ve never been a fan of Asian horror flicks. I can’t stand the whole J-horror craze. I just don’t get it. As for the remakes of THE RING & THE GRUDGE? I enjoyed the remakes way more than the originals (I think the remake of THE RING is superior to the original).

      That being said, I don’t see the OLDBOY remake being all that great. The original is gritty & dare I say existential. I don’t think Spike Lee has it in him!!